The world's longest wall and biggest ancient architecture. Its winding path over rugged country and steep mountains takes in some great scenery.
10 Great Wall Facts
1. The official length is 21,196.18 km (13,170.7 mi) — (6+ dynasties' worth)
2. Most of today's relics are the Ming Dynasty Great Wall: length 8,851 km(5,500 mi).
3. The Great Wall is more than 2,300 years old.
4. The Ming Great Wall crosses 9 provinces and municipalities: Liaoning, Hebei, Tianjin, Beijing, Inner Mongolia, Shanxi, Shaanxi, Ningxia, Gansu.
5. Badaling is the most visited section (63,000,000 visitors in 2001). And in the first week of May and October, the visitor flow can be up to 70,000 per day.
6. The average height of the Great Wall at Badaling and Juyong Pass is 7.88 meters, and the highest place is 14 meters high.
7. Nearly 1/3 of the Great Wall has disappeared without trace.
8. Since 1644, when the Ming Dynasty was overthrown, no further work has been done
on the Great Wall (for military purposes — some has been restored for tourism).
9. Great Wall reconstruction and protection began with Badaling in 1957.
10. In December 1987 the Great Wall was placed on the World Heritage List by UNESCO.
Have you traveled to the Great Wall in China or planning to anytime soon? Tell us about it below!And if you liked the post – don't forget to subscribe. You’ll be the first to hear about our updates .